2017 Summer Community
Welcome! We are thrilled that you will be joining us this summer and look forward to working with you. We hope that this page will be filled with helpful tidbits, hints and information that you can use as you prepare for a summer at camp. We will do our best to send you an email notice when something new has been added, but we also encourage you to check back often. And if we have missed something, or you have questions, please let us know.
Feel free to email Grant or Aaron with questions, comments or a really good (camp appropriate) joke.
Policies - the link below is a part of your summer Community Agreement. Be sure to read through them before signing your Agreement and contact us with any questions.
Life Guard Training
If you are interested in be trained as a lifeguard, plan to join us in late May in Grand Rapids (dates still to be determined). Any one participating can stay at Camp Hiawatha for the week and we’ll take good care of you! The class starts at 7am on the first day, so if you would like to come the night before that would be fine. Please be sure to let Aaron know if you are participating and when you plan to arrive.
Physical Competency Requirements:
- tread water for 2 minutes and swim 100 yards of front crawl (in 2 minutes)
- need to be able to do the elementary backstroke, breaststroke and sidestroke as they are part of the endurance swim – 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up and elementary backstroke kick with hands on your chest.
- dive head first/arm-over-arm surface dive, feet first surface dive, feet first surface dieve in 8-10 feet of water then swim underwater for 15 feet.
- do the following continuous without a break:
- sprint head up front crawl for a distance of 60 feet in the water, and then perform an arm over arm surface dive in 8-10 feet of water; pick up an object from the pool bottom, surface, tread water for at least 1 minute with legs only, and replace the object back to the pool bottom where it was found; surface, swim the remaining length to end of pool, and hoist yourself out of water without using ladder or other assistance; immediately begin compressions on an adult manikin for 1 minute (or 100 compressions), stand and listen to directions from instructor; quickly walk to an elevated lifeguard stand, climb onto the lifeguard stand, sit down, and look near your feet for a colored shape. find the matching colored shape while scanning the pool area; Stand up, blow a whistle loudly, and clearly shout “The Y is great!” and then exit the lifeguard stand. (we may change the shout to “camp is great!”)
For those needing to re-certify their lifeguard stuff: We are happy to help you with this if we can. Let Aaron know if you need this.
Background Checks – We require a background check on all staff . With your Community Agreement, you received a form asking for permission to complete background check on you prior to the start of the summer. Since you signed it, you now need to provide a bit of information for us to actually complete said check. Click on the form below, download it, save it to you computer, complete, and email to Gretchen.
Please note: you will need your driver’s license, social security number, and address information for any work or volunteer position you have held for the past 5 years.
Background Check Information (open it, fill it in, save it, email it back to Gretchen as an attachment)
If you have any questions about these forms, please email Gretchen or call her at 218-780-4116.