Campers this summer have already assembled dozens of bags for our hands-on mission project - simple bags full of needed items. These bags will be donated to LSS-Duluth, Grace House in Grand Rapids, Katherine's House in Eveleth, and other organizations serving the homeless or those in transition. This hands-on mission invests our camp community more deeply in the project and educates campers as to the needs of homeless youth and adults in our communities.
Camper families, congregations, and community members have been busy collecting and donating items for our project. We especially thank and uplift Sundell Eye Associates and Bridget Sundell. They set up a collection basket and are offering a $50 coupon on prescription glasses to donors!
We invite you, too, to get involved in this project by donating items for the bags and/or funds for VLM to purchase the needed supplies. We especially are in need of toothbrushes (new) and travel-sized shampoo/conditioner.
- Granola Bars
- Body Wash - Travel Size
- Shampoo/Conditioner - Travel Size
- Lip Balm
- Feminine Hygiene Items
- Gallon or Quart size zip-lock bags
Ways to donate:
- Use a "Thrivent Action Team" to purchase supplies and send ahead of time or with campers when they go to camp. (Go to www.Thrivent.com and click "Making a Difference")
- Choose a Sunday or two and invite congregational members to bring supplies to your congregation.
- Explain the project to local businesses (or hotels) and invite them to make a donation.
- Purchase items as a family.
- Send a financial gift to VLM; please mark it 'Summer Mission'
- All donations can be delivered to either Camp Hiawatha or Camp Vermilion ahead of the summer or sent with campers who are attending camp. Arrangements can also be made with VLM staff for us to pick up donations.