During previous summers, we have invited our campers to support our chosen mission project through their canteen money. This summer, we want to provide our campers with a hands-on project - something that invests them more in the project and educates them as to the needs of homeless youth and adults in our communities.
Each week, campers will help assemble simple bags of needed items which will then be donated to LSS-Duluth, Grace House in Grand Rapids, and other organizations serving the homeless or those in transition. We will also talk with our campers about homelessness in our area in an effort to expand their understanding and thinking about those who may not have what they have.
We invite campers, families, and congregations to get involved in this project by donating items for the bags and/or funds for VLM to purchase the needed supplies.
- Granola Bars
- Body Wash - Travel Size
- Shampoo/Conditioner - Travel Size
- Lip Balm
- Feminine Hygiene Items
- Gallon or Quart size zip-lock bags
Ways to donate:
- Use a "Thrivent Action Team" to purchase supplies and send ahead of time or with campers when they go to camp. (Go to www.Thrivent.com and click "Making a Difference")
- Choose a Sunday or two and invite congregational members to bring supplies to your congregation.
- Explain the project to local businesses (or hotels) and invite them to make a donation.
- Purchase items as a family.
- Send a financial gift to VLM; please mark it 'Summer Mission'
- All donations can be delivered to either Camp Hiawatha or Camp Vermilion ahead of the summer or sent with campers who are attending camp. Arrangements can also be made with VLM staff for us to pick up donations.