VLM has received a $25,000 immediate grant and a $25,000 challenge grant opportunity from the Thrivent Financial Foundation, Minneapolis, Minn. The grants support VLM's launch of "Camper 2Campers," an outreach initiative designed to work directly with the organization's 83-member churches and Jacob's Well, a ministry community in Minneapolis. The project will reach out to the communities around VLM to grow the number of on-site summer campers benefiting from the ministry to 1175 in 2016.
As part of the project, VLM member congregations and collaborative partners are eligible to receive upto $500 in matching for Camperships: funds raised to send kids to camp. Matching funds are limited and will be awarded on a first requested basis. For a list of member congregations:www.vlmcamps.org/member-congregations
Kids and adults are gathering all over God's greatnorthwoods to make camp happen and invite new kids to camp. Many Thrivent members are also putting together Action Teams to help organize generous families and raise funds to get these kids to camp.
To date, 10 fundraisers have been (or are about to be) matched with up to $500 in grant funds:
- Quad Cities Rotary, Virginia - Campership Grant
- Bethesda, Carlton - Camp Sunday Meatball Auction
- Evangelical, Babbitt - Annual Meeting Brunch Campership Fundraiser
- All Saints, Cottage Grove - Palm Sunday Breakfast
- Trinity, Long Lake - Summer Ministries Auction
- United in Christ, Eveleth - Caramel Roll Fundraiser
- First, Pine River - March Campership Fundraiser
- St. Andrews, Grand Rapids - Roll and Fruit Fundraiser
- Faith, Chisholm - Sub Sandwich Fundraiser
- Grace, Hermantown - Invest in Campers Stock Sale
Share your news and invite a friend to camp! #Camper2Campers
Visit the VLM web page for more on Camper2Campers (http://www.vlmcamps.org/camper2campers/)
For information on applying for a campership match, email Joel Abenth at Joel@VLMcamps.org.